Bahrain: Women failed to win a single seat in elections
Women made up 10% of the 300 or so candidates standing in the local polls, but none has been selected by the electorate.
Many of the women were not expecting to win a council seat but said they had stood to set an example and to make it easier for other women in the future.
Submitted on Wed, 05/08/2002 - 23:00
- Bahrain: Family violence law articles approved
- Sultan of Brunei threatens his citizens following online criticism of Sharia law plan
- Iran: 'Jila Baniyaghoob | Prisoner Of Conscience In Iran'
- Saudi women flood social media with driving videos, pictures
- Saudi Arabia: Women Activists' Sentences Confirmed
- Family Law in Bahrain
- Discrimination Against Women in Bahraini Society and Legislation
- No One is Safe: Abuses of Women in Iraq's Criminal Justice System
- Bahrain: Submission to the committee on the elimination of all forms of discrimination against women
- Everyone's Guide to By-passing Internet Censorship