Bahrain: Women failed to win a single seat in elections
Women made up 10% of the 300 or so candidates standing in the local polls, but none has been selected by the electorate.
Many of the women were not expecting to win a council seat but said they had stood to set an example and to make it easier for other women in the future.
Submitted on Wed, 05/08/2002 - 23:00
- SUDAN: URGENT ACTION - WOMEN RISK FLOGGING FOR ‘INDECENT’ CLOTHING
- Egypt: Judicial harassment of Ms. Azza Soliman
- Please acquit and release Asia Bibi
- Over 220 Global Organizations Call for Immediate Release of Seven Imprisoned Women Human Rights Defenders in Egypt
- Send your support to Yara Sallam and other human rights defenders imprisoned in Egypt