Nigeria: Man sentenced to death by stoning
An Islamic court in northern Nigeria has sentenced a man to death by stoning for the crime of rape.
The BBC reports that the judge in the state of Jigawa passed the sentence after the man, Sarimu Mohammed, confessed to raping a nine-year-old girl. The Nigerian newspaper, This Day, adds that the judge gave the accused time to think over his admission of the offence on three occasions, but he remained firm that he was guilty.
Submitted on Sun, 05/12/2002 - 23:00
- Call for Iraqi Women Victimized by ISIS
- 'Stop the extreme group of monks called Bodu Bala Sena who ignites the religious hatred, enmity and violent oppressions in Srilanka
- WLUML Stands With Nigerian LGBT People, And All Persecuted For Their Sexuality Worldwide
- Urgent Action: Zahra and Ali in Imminent Danger of Stoning!
- Declaration of the Senegalese Feminist Forum statement during the Reflection on the Malian Crisis Meeting