Nigeria: Man sentenced to death by stoning
An Islamic court in northern Nigeria has sentenced a man to death by stoning for the crime of rape.
The BBC reports that the judge in the state of Jigawa passed the sentence after the man, Sarimu Mohammed, confessed to raping a nine-year-old girl. The Nigerian newspaper, This Day, adds that the judge gave the accused time to think over his admission of the offence on three occasions, but he remained firm that he was guilty.
Submitted on Mon, 05/13/2002 - 00:00
- Opposing political Islam: Mohamed Brahmi's widow speaks out
- Female Lawmaker Assassinated in Libya
- Quick Thoughts: Zainab Saleh on Iraq
- ISIS advance adds to aid challenges in Iraq’s north
- ON THE OCCUPATION OF MOSUL AND THE CITIES OF WESTERN IRAQ – YANAR MOHAMMED (ORGANIZATION OF WOMEN’S FREEDOM IN IRAQ)
- 'Stop the extreme group of monks called Bodu Bala Sena who ignites the religious hatred, enmity and violent oppressions in Srilanka
- WLUML Stands With Nigerian LGBT People, And All Persecuted For Their Sexuality Worldwide
- Urgent Action: Zahra and Ali in Imminent Danger of Stoning!
- Declaration of the Senegalese Feminist Forum statement during the Reflection on the Malian Crisis Meeting
- UPDATE: Saudi Arabia: Al Sharif released, 17 June Women2Drive campaign continues