Nigeria: Man sentenced to death by stoning
An Islamic court in northern Nigeria has sentenced a man to death by stoning for the crime of rape.
The BBC reports that the judge in the state of Jigawa passed the sentence after the man, Sarimu Mohammed, confessed to raping a nine-year-old girl. The Nigerian newspaper, This Day, adds that the judge gave the accused time to think over his admission of the offence on three occasions, but he remained firm that he was guilty.
Submitted on Mon, 05/13/2002 - 00:00
- Mynamar: Kristallnacht in Myanmar
- Afghanistan: $2,500: The Value of a 6 year-old Afghan Girl.
- International: The Ethics of Alliance and Solidarity: An Exchange Between Rafia Zakaria and Meredith Tax
- Pakistan: Statement issued by the Women Action Forum (WAF), Karachi, following the attack on Shia residents of Abbas Colony
- Afghanistan: Afghan Women’s Affairs Aide Shot Months After Killing of Predecessor.
- Declaration of the Senegalese Feminist Forum statement during the Reflection on the Malian Crisis Meeting
- UPDATE: Saudi Arabia: Al Sharif released, 17 June Women2Drive campaign continues
- Pakistan: Ensure safety of Asia Bibi and her family and repeal Pakistan’s Blasphemy Laws
- UPDATE: Iran: Sakineh Mohammadi-Ashtiani case: another test of Iran's flawed justice system
- Iran: A Statement of Concern Regarding the Televised ‘Confession’ by Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani