Bangladesh: The "Talibanization" of Bangladesh
While the media spotlight has been focused on Pakistan and Afghanistan, the rise of fundamentalism in nearby Bangladesh has gone virtually unnoticed.
The nation's tradition of moderate Islam is under threat as religious intolerance takes hold following the victory of the Bangladesh National Party (BNP) in last October's elections. "What is happening?" writes Shahriar Kabir, a documentary filmmaker based in Dhaka, is the initial stage of the "Talibanizing of Bangladesh's politics and society."
Submitted on Thu, 05/30/2002 - 00:00
- 'Stop the extreme group of monks called Bodu Bala Sena who ignites the religious hatred, enmity and violent oppressions in Srilanka
- NIGERIA: Bring back the abducted school girls of Chibok
- Urgent Action: Zahra and Ali in Imminent Danger of Stoning!
- Declaration of the Senegalese Feminist Forum statement during the Reflection on the Malian Crisis Meeting
- UPDATE: Saudi Arabia: Al Sharif released, 17 June Women2Drive campaign continues