Vatican/Africa: Vatican ignoring the sexual abuse of black nuns in Africa
Source:The Sacremento Observer
As U. S. Catholic priests returned from the Vatican in Rome this week to discuss the problem of sexual abuse of children by priests, little attention is being paid to reports of sexual exploitation of nuns in Africa by the church's clergy.
American Catholic activists said they have tried in vain to get the Vatican, the government of the Catholic Church, to deal with the abuse. To address the problems, groups such as the Catholics For A Free Choice "Call To Accountability Campaign" have formed in Africa and elsewhere to research and publicize the problem. Sister-to-sister education is also taking place in various countries through workshops to empower women to say no.
Submitted on Sun, 06/09/2002 - 23:00
- Uganda bans maids from working in Saudi Arabia
- Sudan: Rape as Weapon of War AU/UN Should Increase Investigations, Reporting on Abuses
- Minor convicted in heinous Delhi gang rape to be freed
- Taliban Stone Woman To Death For Eloping
- With Her Father On Death Row, Afghan Mother Attempts To Put Decade Of Incest, Abuse Behind Her
- Recommendations for action against gender-related killing of women and girls
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
- Addendum to the Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
- Afghanistan: Their lives on the line: Women human rights defenders under attack in Afghanistan