Vatican/Africa: Vatican ignoring the sexual abuse of black nuns in Africa
Source:The Sacremento Observer
As U. S. Catholic priests returned from the Vatican in Rome this week to discuss the problem of sexual abuse of children by priests, little attention is being paid to reports of sexual exploitation of nuns in Africa by the church's clergy.
American Catholic activists said they have tried in vain to get the Vatican, the government of the Catholic Church, to deal with the abuse. To address the problems, groups such as the Catholics For A Free Choice "Call To Accountability Campaign" have formed in Africa and elsewhere to research and publicize the problem. Sister-to-sister education is also taking place in various countries through workshops to empower women to say no.
Submitted on Mon, 06/10/2002 - 00:00
- Nigeria: Abducted women and girls forced to join Boko Haram attacks
- Child brides take Zimbabwe govt to court over marriage laws
- Tahira Sami Khoso , Looking for Justice
- Aminata Manneh Gender Activist Went Missing After filming a Police Officer Maltreating a Child
- Against their will: Inside Canada’s forced marriages
- Afghanistan: Their lives on the line: Women human rights defenders under attack in Afghanistan
- Violence against Women in the context of Political Transformations and Economic Crisis in the Euro-Mediterranean Region:
- Too Young to Wed
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences, Rashida Manjoo*