Egypt: Retrial announced in 'Cairo 52' case
Source:The International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission (IGLHRC)
The International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission (IGLHRC) has learned that the Egyptian government has decided to retry 50 of the defendants in the "Cairo 52" case.
The new trial will begin on 2 July 2002. Those who were acquitted, as well as most of those convicted, in the 2001 trial will now reportedly face the same ordeal again. The men who were once fortunate enough to be freed could well be sent to prison this time. A new cycle of injustice and abuse is underway. IGLHRC urges you to immediately send letters to Egyptian officials as well as US and European leaders to protest this renewed blow at justice and due process.
Submitted on Sun, 06/23/2002 - 00:00
- URGENT NEWS: SEND YOUR SIGNATURES TO PRESIDENT AL-SISI BY WEDNESDAY THE 29TH OF MARCH
- Update: Activists Yara Sallam, Sanaa Seif released from prison
- 8th CSBR Sexuality Institute - Call for Applications!
- A Bad Year for Yara Sallam in Egypt's Republic of Fear
- Egypt uses sexual violence as a tool of repression: Report
- URGENT APPEAL ON BEHALF OF EGYPTIAN HUMAN RIGHTS DEFENDERS
- Egypt: Judicial harassment of Ms. Azza Soliman
- Over 220 Global Organizations Call for Immediate Release of Seven Imprisoned Women Human Rights Defenders in Egypt
- Send your support to Yara Sallam and other human rights defenders imprisoned in Egypt
- URGENT: Join the international campaign against Egypt’s repressive protest law!
- The Relationship between Feminism and State Policies for the Elimination of Violence against Women: The National Strategy for the Elimination of Violence against Women as an Example
- Dossier 32-33: Sexualities, Culture and Society in Muslim Contexts
- Reclaiming the Streets for Women’s Dignity: Effective Initiatives in the Struggle against Gender-Based Violence in between Egypt’s Two Revolutions
- The Politics of Mobilising for Gender Justice in Egypt from Mubarak to Morsi and Beyond
- Egypt: #noprotestlaw campaign abridged toolkit