UN: Support Navi Pillay, the only woman candidate, as next High Commissioner for Human Rights
Source:Women's Caucus for Gender Justice
The search for a successor to Mary Robinson has begun.
Judge Navi Pillay, President of the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda, is among those being considered for the post. She is also the only woman candidate being considered. Judge Pillay has a long history of human rights advocacy in South Africa and has been a distinguished judge of the ICTR. It is expected that the decision will be made this month. Those who would like to see a woman with the history, perspective and qualifications of Judge Pillay in this post should send letters to Secretary-General Kofi Annan as soon as possible.
Submitted on Wed, 06/26/2002 - 00:00
- Raise Your Voice Against the 'Protection of the Family' Resolution
- URGENT ACTION: Call on States to Support UN Resolution on WHRDs
- DRAFT UN GENERAL ASSEMBLY RESOLUTION ON WOMEN HUMAN RIGHTS DEFENDERS UNDER ATTACK!
- European Feminist Initiative: "Palestine, Libya, Syria... More than ever Feminists for Peace and Democracy"
- Pakistan: URGENT-Shirkat Gah Appeals for Support in Relief Work
- Religion, Culture And Tradition: No Excuse For Violence
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Religion or Belief, Heiner Bielefeldt, Human Rights Council 28th Session
- Shirkat Gah Newsheet March 2015
- WLUML Gazette, 14th Edition at the end of 2014
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences, Rashida Manjoo*