Nigeria Girl sues over forced marriage
A girl in Nigeria is taking her father to court for allegedly forcing her to marry against her wish, according to a Lagos-based newspaper.
The Guardian newspaper says 19-year-old Nafisatu Laushi is seeking a high court order in the central city of Jos to stop her father from making her marry Danladi Maigado. The girl - who is still attending secondary school - also wants the court to restrain Mr Maigado from parading himself as the would-be husband, which she says infringes on her right to chose a husband, the paper says.
Submitted on Thu, 09/12/2002 - 00:00
- Tens of female students poisoned in Samangan
- Farkhunda murder: Afghan judge sentences four to death over mob killing
- Child brides take Zimbabwe govt to court over marriage laws
- Tahira Sami Khoso , Looking for Justice
- Aminata Manneh Gender Activist Went Missing After filming a Police Officer Maltreating a Child
- 'Our job is to shoot, slaughter and kill': Boko Haram's reign of terror in north east Nigeria
- Afghanistan: Their lives on the line: Women human rights defenders under attack in Afghanistan
- Violence against Women in the context of Political Transformations and Economic Crisis in the Euro-Mediterranean Region:
- Too Young to Wed