Nigeria Girl sues over forced marriage
A girl in Nigeria is taking her father to court for allegedly forcing her to marry against her wish, according to a Lagos-based newspaper.
The Guardian newspaper says 19-year-old Nafisatu Laushi is seeking a high court order in the central city of Jos to stop her father from making her marry Danladi Maigado. The girl - who is still attending secondary school - also wants the court to restrain Mr Maigado from parading himself as the would-be husband, which she says infringes on her right to chose a husband, the paper says.
Submitted on Wed, 09/11/2002 - 23:00
- SUDAN: URGENT ACTION EIGHT GIRLS FREE, ONE OTHER RISKS FLOGGING
- Support KMEWO in demanding Justice for Dunya!
- NIGERIA: Bring back the abducted school girls of Chibok
- Iraq: Don’t Legalize Marriage for 9-Year-Olds
- WLUML Stands With Nigerian LGBT People, And All Persecuted For Their Sexuality Worldwide
- Recommendations for action against gender-related killing of women and girls
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
- Addendum to the Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
- 'Our job is to shoot, slaughter and kill': Boko Haram's reign of terror in north east Nigeria
- Afghanistan: Their lives on the line: Women human rights defenders under attack in Afghanistan