Nigeria Girl sues over forced marriage
A girl in Nigeria is taking her father to court for allegedly forcing her to marry against her wish, according to a Lagos-based newspaper.
The Guardian newspaper says 19-year-old Nafisatu Laushi is seeking a high court order in the central city of Jos to stop her father from making her marry Danladi Maigado. The girl - who is still attending secondary school - also wants the court to restrain Mr Maigado from parading himself as the would-be husband, which she says infringes on her right to chose a husband, the paper says.
Submitted on Thu, 09/12/2002 - 00:00
- Stoning: Legal or Practised in 16 Countries and Showing No Signs of Abating
- Factsheet: Violence Against Women - the Missing MDG?
- Child, early and forced marriage in Pakistan: A submission to OHCHR
- Child, Early and Forced Marriage: A Multi-Country Study.
- Violence against Women, Bleeding Wound in the Syrian Conflict