USA: Stop Bush from rolling back women's reproductive rights
Source:Women's Global Network for Reproductive Rights
The US has threatened to withdraw from the Cairo Programme of Action of 1994 unless the words reproductive health services and reproductive rights are taken out or changed. This is a shocking development which is a threat to women’s rights and health.
As supporters of women’s rights worldwide, we are deeply disturbed by the stand taken by the US administration at the recent Population and Development Conference in Bangkok held in early November 2002. We demand that the Cairo Program of Action that has been endorsed by 179 nations be upheld. Reproductive health services and reproductive rights are essential human rights.
Submitted on Tue, 11/19/2002 - 01:00
- Kenya: Rita, "I feel cheated of my right to decide whether to give birth or not".
- Sierra Leone: Shifting Tide On Abortion Law.
- Tunisia: Tunisian Women Address Post-Revolution Access To Abortion Services.
- South Sudan: Contraceptives Give Women the Right to Choose.
- UN: Marrying Too Young, End Child Marriage Report
- Rights Must Be At the Center of the Family Planning Summit: Civil Society Declaration
- VNC Statement: The Vatican's Crackdown Against the Nuns Is Unacceptable and Deplorable
- Update: Kyrgyzstan: Continued access to abortion - safe, for now
- Kyrgyzstan: Support the campaign to ensure continued access to abortion
- USA: Polygamy related abuses in Utah
- Legal Empowerment of Unwed Mothers: Experiences of Moroccan NGOs
- WSF: Religious fundamentalisms and repression of reproductive and sexual rights
- Time to Speak Out: Illegal Abortion and Women’s Reproductive Health in Pakistan
- Dossier 22: Exploring the Context of Women’s Sexuality in Eastern Turkey
- Dossier 18: Sex and the Single Shi’ite: Mut’a Marriage in an American Lebanese Shi’ite Community