France: Muslim women march against violence
In spite of sub-zero temperatures, sleet and snow, thousands of Muslim women turned up on Saturday for the first day of a five-week march that will take them to 23 cities of France, and allow them to protest the growing violence they are subject to.
Symbolically, the march began in the city of Vitry-sur-Seine, where a young Muslim woman, Sohanne Denziane, was burned alive last October when she refused the advances of a group of young men who had been regularly raping and harassing the young women of this large Islamic community located in the south-eastern suburb of Paris.
Submitted on Tue, 02/04/2003 - 00:00
- Factsheet: Violence Against Women - the Missing MDG?
- Child, early and forced marriage in Pakistan: A submission to OHCHR
- Child, Early and Forced Marriage: A Multi-Country Study.
- Violence against Women, Bleeding Wound in the Syrian Conflict
- Masculinity, Son Preference and Intimate Partner Violence (India)