United Arab Emirates: Call to amend draft Personal Status law
Source:Arab Regional Resource Centre of Violence Against Women
A UAE national advocate, who is a member of the UAE Women's Federation, claims that articles in the Personal Status Draft Law will have an negative effect on women's rights.
She has asked the Ministry of Justice, Islamic Affairs and Awqaf to amend these articles. In reply to a memorandum sent by the ministry, a number of UAE national female advocates, who are also members of the federation, submitted a 15-page memorandum to the ministry, in which they expressed their reservations over articles they claim erode women's rights. These articles involve engagement, marriage contract, dowry, divorce, trusteeship, pregnancy, and maintenance, among others.
Submitted on Mon, 02/24/2003 - 01:00
- Saudi Arabia: Release Maysaa Alamoudi and Loujain Alhathloul
- SIGN THE PETITION: President Hamid Karzai: We call on you not to sign the new Law on Criminal Procedures
- To the British Government: Work with Dubai's government to free Afsana!
- Egypt: Postpone the 15 December referendum on the draft Constitution!
- Women Living Under Muslim Laws Statement on Libya