Stop Stoning Women Now - Global Campaign Toolkit
|Microsoft Word - stoning_allies_toolkit.pdf||259.71 KB|
What is the purpose of this campaign?
Our ultimate goal is to end the brutal practice of stoning. In the short-term - this November 25th, the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women - we aim to galvanize a critical mass of 10,000 supporters worldwide to sign our petition online on Change.org. The petition functions as a mobilizing platform articulating our analysis of stoning as a persistent form of violence against women and our agenda. Targeting the UN human rights system with stage one, this in turn feeds into our medium-term aim – to successfully advocate for a UN resolution against stoning. In the medium-to-long term, the campaign’s goal is to ban stoning in countries where it still exists in law and criminalize those who engage in this heinous practice worldwide.
In order to achieve medium and long-term aims, we will engage in a separate lobbying strategy at the United Nations. This process will be integrated into the campaign on the ground.
Who is participating?
Key partners of the campaign include: Women Living Under Muslim Laws (WLUML); Women’s UN Report Program & Network (WURN); the Women’s Intercultural Network; Justice for Iran; Research Institute on Women, Peace and Security; Foundation of Solidarity for Justice; BAOBAB for Women’s Human Rights; Salmmah Women’s Resource Centre; Solidaritas Perempuan; Groupe de Recherche sur les Femmes et les Lois Senegal (GREFELS); Shirkat Gah Women’s Resource Centre; Organization of Women’s Freedom in Iraq; and the Institute for Women’s Empowerment (IWE). We are joined by a broad and growing coalition of allies, influential individuals and international and local organizations whose work focuses on violence against women and torture and cruel and inhuman treatment and who champion the campaign and endorse the petition.
This toolkit has been created for the use of allies of the campaign. We hope that it will function as a reference point for all of us as we work to raise awareness and publicize the campaign, broaden the reach of the campaign and develop a critical mass of supporters.
- Afghan shelter provides security for abused women
- India arrest 16 for beheading woman for 'witchcraft'
- Domestic violence in Turkey reaches boiling point
- Malaysia: Women’s groups insist that marital rape be made a crime
- Protection of the Family resolution increases vulnerabilities and exacerbates inequalities
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
- Addendum to the Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
- Afghanistan: Their lives on the line: Women human rights defenders under attack in Afghanistan
- Violence against Women in the context of Political Transformations and Economic Crisis in the Euro-Mediterranean Region: