UN: Minority Fellowship Programme is accepting applications for 2008
2) A monthly grant to cover modest accommodation as well as other living expenses in Geneva for the duration of the Programme; and
3) Health insurance for the duration of the Programme
Selection process and criteria:
The following guidelines and general criteria pertain to the selection of candidates for the Minorities Fellowship Programme:
The individual candidate:
1. The candidate must belong to a minority group (persons who do not belong to a minority group will not be taken into consideration, even if they have close links with minority communities and/or organizations)
2. Age should not be a limitation to participation in the Minorities Fellowship Programme, although preference initially will be given to candidates between 25 - 35 years.
3. Formal education should not be a limitation to participation in the Minorities Fellowship Programme, if relevant experience can be demonstrated.
4. Candidates should have ability and willingness to train other persons belonging to minorities upon return to their respective communities/organizations.
5. The candidate should have the written support of their community or organization.
6. The candidates must have a good understanding of the English language, as all trainings and debriefings will be conducted in English.
The sponsoring organization/association/community:
7. The overall goal of the Minorities Fellowship Programme is to offer persons belonging to minorities the opportunity to gain knowledge and skills in the field of international human rights in order to assist their organizations and communities in protecting and promoting human and minority rights. Therefore, it is important that the candidate proposed and nominated by a minority organization or community be someone who will return to his or her NGO to work in this field.
8. It is desirable that the sponsoring organization or association undertakes work on minority issues and is composed of persons belonging to minorities.
Other guidelines and criteria:
9. The selection of the Minorities Fellows should reflect a regional and gender balance.
10. Ten alternates should be selected in the event that any of the five preferences will not be available for the period of the programme.
In view of the large number of applications, we regret to inform that only successful candidates will be contacted.
Fellowship applications will only be taken into consideration if they are fully completed. They must be signed and either faxed or scanned by email or sent by regular post at the following address:
Minorities Fellowship Programme
Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights
CH-1211 Geneva 10
Telephone number: (+ 41 22) 928 9204
Telefax number: (+41 22) 928 9010
E-mailed applications will not be taken into consideration, unless they are signed and scanned.
Any questions pertaining to the Minority Fellowship Programme can be sent to the address mentioned above or emailed to: email@example.com
Application form in English: www.ohchr.org/english/issues/minorities/docs/applicationform2008_en.doc
Deadline 10 December 2007
*The implementation of the Fellowship programme is dependent on funding being made available
More info about the Fellowships at: http://www.ohchr.org/english/issues/minorities/fellowprog.htm