Women Living Under Muslim Laws (WLUML) is a transnational feminist solidarity network
that promotes human rights and gender justice and equality for people whose lives are shaped, conditioned or governed by patriarchal and/or authoritarian interpretations of Islam. For over thirty-five years, WLUML has worked with feminist movements to break isolation and build our collective power.
The Feminist Organizing Intern at WLUML will help to strengthen the network and advance its campaigns and other advocacy through outreach, deepening partnerships, coordination, and coalition-building. The intern will develop skills and gain real-world experience as part of a passionate and engaged team, while supporting the activism of rights advocates around the world in WLUML’s international network. WLUML is looking to invite young up-and-coming women’s rights activists or those interested in gaining more insight into women’s rights work to apply.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Coordinate actions with network members and partners and support member-led projects
- Work with the WLUML team to develop and expand the network, including through outreach, and retain and engage its members
- Keep track of what network members are doing and develop processes and spaces for exchange, mutual learning and strategizing within the network
- Support the development of leadership training and organizing workshops for network members, such as the Transnational Feminist Institute
- Work closely with the network to support campaign planning and strategy across WLUML priority areas
Qualifications & Skills:
- Prior grassroots organizing experience and/or experience supporting campaigns and coalition-building is desirable
- Experience with digital organizing is desirable
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with team members
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Well-developed interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate with diverse groups
- Passion for gender justice and women’s rights
- An understanding of current issues affecting women’s rights, particularly those living under Muslim laws
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and to work flexibly
- Individuals with second or third language skills (especially Arabic, Pashto, Farsi, Malay, French and/or Urdu) are especially encouraged to apply.
Duration: 4 months, with potential to renew
Number of hours: 10 hours per week (flexible)
We do not currently provide remuneration for interns; we are open to sponsoring fellowships.
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If you have any questions, please inquire to the email address included above.