Women Living Under Muslim Laws (WLUML) is a transnational feminist solidarity network that promotes human rights, gender justice, and equality for people whose lives are shaped, conditioned or governed by patriarchal and/or authoritarian interpretations of Islam. For over thirty-five years, WLUML has worked with feminist movements to break isolation, build our collective power, and promote gender equality and human rights.
Women Living Under Muslim Laws (WLUML) seek a Publications Intern to support the works of its Research and Publications Committee. The intern is expected to work roughly 10 hours a week for a period of six months with the potential to extend.
The responsibilities are:
- to edit and proofread articles and prepare them for publication,
- to organize existing publication administration,
- to ensure that the ISBN and ISSN numbers are registered with the appropriate international offices
- to be in communication with various writers, contributors, and networkers, and
- to help to organize webinars and meetings with different committee members
This position will report to one of the lead Committee Coordinators, Prof. Mona Tajali, Prof. Homa Hoodfar, or Dana Kamour.
Research and Publication Division:
WLUML produces regular research-based and scholarly publications (in the form of books, articles, and reports, videos and more..) that are geared towards reaching a wide audience. This includes researchers, practitioners, activists in Muslim countries, and those working towards gender equality, human rights, and social justice. We are committed to mobilizing the feminist scholarly advancement in service of activists and advocates who are working to promote gender equality. As a feminist think tank, we believe sound research should be the basis of advocacy.
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong command of the English language,
- Good digital and internet research skills
- Proactive and self-motivated with the ability to work independently
- Commitment to gender equality and promotion of human rights
- Kind, empathetic, a good listener and team worker
- Ability to read and speak other languages, such as Arabic, Farsi/Dari, Pashtu, Urdu, Turkish, and French
- Proof-reading and editing experience
- Knowledge and experience of working and editing with Adobe Acrobat
- Publication experience
- An eye for curating materials and crafting an appealing and workable system
Duration: Six months with the possibility to extend
Number of Hours: 10 hours per week
Remuneration: As a volunteer organization we are unable to provide remuneration for our interns and fellows; we are open to sponsoring fellowships
Supervision: The post-holder will be supervised by Dr. Mona Tajali (from Agnes Scott College, Atlanta, GA, USA) or Dr. Homa Hoodar (from Concordia University, Montreal, Canada) and Dana Kamour
Deadline: Although we accept applications until 15 September 2021, we will start our review procedure from 20 July 2021
To Apply: Please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If you have any questions, please inquire at the email address included above.