Communications & Advocacy Internship
WLUML is looking to invite young up-and-coming women’s rights activists or those interested in gaining more insight into women’s rights work to apply for an internship with our International Coordination Office. The intern will be part of a passionate and engaged team of staff and volunteers based in London. As this is a small team, the intern will be given a diverse mix of interesting responsibilities, along with the opportunity to attend women’s rights events and meetings. They will also be exposed to WLUML’s international network and the many activities that are being delivered by the organization internationally.
As our new intern you will:
- Gain an insight into women’s rights activism by interacting with a diverse range of activists and groups from the Global South ;
- Acquire a broad background in communications strategy and advocacy techniques through work on the Violence in Not Our Culture Campaign (See: http://www.violenceisnotourculture.org/); and
- Gain professional experience with an highly regarded international institution that pursues women’s rights and gender advocacy through research, advocacy, training, and a range of programmes.
You will have a number of interesting and engaging responsibilities. Some of these include:
- Creating and implementing our communications strategies on issues such as Cultural Violence Against Women (CVAW), and Women’s Leadership and Political Participation;
- Engaging in the development of a dynamic WLUML website,and expanding our online presence via our website, Twitter, and Facebook pages as well as email alerts, newsletters, and press releases;
- Supporting our network of advocates, and general advocacy campaigning by responding to their requests for information;
- Preparing and editing videos, Twitter updates and news articles around women’s rights issues such as CVAW
- Assisting the WLUML Communications Team with various press and advocacy responsibilities, along with developing an up-to-date media contact list;
- Monitoring activist and sister organization websites and press coverage on women’s rights related issues; and
- Preparing and distributing the new WLUML bi-monthly newsletter – Liaising with the WLUML Communications Committee to prepare content and develop the first edition of the newsletter.
- Prefered: Knowledge of written and spoken French
- Experience of communications (web, print, social media, events etc), campaigning (advocacy, direct action etc) or media work (journalism, press work etc) is desirable
- An understanding of the current issues affecting women’s rights
- An appreciation of the issues that women face living under Muslim Laws
- Strong communicator with excellent writing, analytical and IT skills
- Experience using various website content management systems, as well as writing for print publications or the web, and editing video and audio content is highly desirable
- A graduate qualification in communications, international relations, gender studies, journalism or similar.
This is an unpaid position; however incidental travel and communications costs will be covered by WLUML. The position is full-time for three to six months, depending on negotiations with short-listed candidates. The internship will be based at the WLUML International Coordination Office in London, N19 5JT.
Please contact us at Yasmin@WLUML.org
Deadline: 5th October